Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Gluten Free Cookie Dough Balls



       I try my best to eat healthy, but I'm only human and I'm also an American so I crave sweets. Buttery cakes, sugary cookies and fudgy brownies - the world is a cruel and unfair place making these delicious treats so damn bad for you.

       Eating gluten free has pushed me to be more creative in finding ways to get my sugar fix when necessary, and find healthier ways to do it. It's taught me that black bean brownies are a million times more delicious than they sound, a chocolate rice cake is actually quite satisfying, almond meal kicks flours butt in making banana bread, and just recently, chickpeas make great cookie dough (call me crazy!)

       I wouldn't have believed it myself a few months ago if someone told me that canned chickpeas pulsed to mush and mixed into peanut butter would make a delicious cookie dough, and shame on me for that because it's delicious!




       Chickpeas are fibrous and protein packed, so it's a huge bonus being able to incorporate them into a sweet treat. Plus it's mixed with a nut butter which provides even more protein and nutritional value, and great flavor, of course!

       Now I'm not saying these are healthy for you, per say. They have plenty of nutritional value unlike the majority of other desserts, but they also have high fat content (good for you in moderation unsaturated fats, though!) and some sugar from the honey and chocolate chips.

Just don't get too excited about their subtly sweet deliciousness and eat an entire batch, but definitely indulge and snack guilt-free!





Original recipe found at www.texanerin.com







No comments:

Post a Comment