Saturday, March 22, 2014

Busy Weeknight Tilapia



     Lately I've been getting big bags of frozen tilapia filets for easy and cheap weeknight meals. It's great for single serving because I will just defrost one, season it to my liking and dinner is served! One of my favorite ways to do it is to season it with some of my favorite smoky spices and pan fry it in olive oil.



   
       This fish goes really well with basically any side dish. Above I have a sweet potato and roast brussels sprouts (which I am posting a recipe for soon because I literally am in love with them), but I also have eaten this with steamed frozen vegetables, quinoa, a salad, etc, etc, etc.

       It's a great gluten free meal because the seasoning acts as a little bit of a crust as it crisps up when cooked, so you won't miss having any breadcrumbs (which is what I'm used to from growing up with plenty of baked haddock).


The recipe below doesn't have exact measurements because to be honest I've never actually measured it. You just shake on the seasoning basically to coat the fish. It's as simple as that! If you're looking for more of a blackened style, then really load on the seasonings, almost as if you're coating it in breadcrumbs, and rub into the fish.




Busy Weeknight Tilapia

Ingredients:
Tilapia filet(s)
A moderate dusting of each of the following:
Garlic powder
Chili powder
Cumin
Dash cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
- Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium high heat.
- Season both sides of tilapia filets with moderate amount of seasonings and cook in heated pan on each side for about 3 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
(A lil squeeze of lemon at the end tastes great!)












No comments:

Post a Comment