Monday, June 17, 2013

Shauna's Savory Chicken Salad


      I love chicken salad, but the same old craisins, walnuts and celery I see everywhere is getting pretty old, and my sister felt the same way. She came up with this awesome recipe and brought it to the beach for lunch.

     And I fell in love.



       It's so fresh tasting and much different from chicken salads I've had in the past. The herbs give it a great savory flavor and with the nutty crunch of pistachios or toasted almonds, it's perfect. It tasted great over mixed greens (especially with avocado.....we love avocado) and also is wonderful in a sandwich or wrap.
        The best thing about the recipe is that the chicken is baked and then shredded in all it's juices. This allows the meat to retain all the yummy chickeny-goodness, instead of losing all the flavor from the typical simmering/boiling of the chicken. It is much more moist and tender.


I have a feeling I'll be thanking my sister for this recipe for a lonnnggg time.




         I made this for a friend's birthday so she could have it to take to lunch during her work week, and I knew it was too good to last even overnight in my house, so I had to protect it from my family......and potentially the dog.....


        That's Lola, our pre-dishwasher/trash-digger/bottomless pit, and I have a feeling she'd really like some chicken salad.




Shauna's Savory Chicken Salad
Ingredients:
2 lbs chicken breast
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp rosemary
1 tbsp basil
garlic powder
Lots of black pepper!
Salt to taste
1/2 cup mayo
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup chopped pistachios or toasted almonds
1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Rub chicken breasts with olive oil and season both sides with a light sprinkle of garlic powder, tbsp of rosemary and basil and black pepper.
Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until no longer pink. 
Remove from oven, chop/shred chicken and mix with juices left in baking pan.
Mix together mayo and lemon juice. 
Mix chicken with mayo and add in nuts and onion. Season with salt, more herbs if desired and plenty of black pepper.



















No comments:

Post a Comment