Monday, June 3, 2013

Lemon-Dijon Encrusted Salmon


       Salmon was on sale for 3.99 a pound (a serious deal) so you know my mom stocked up, and you know who ended up cooking it :) I usually make salmon with a glaze similar to the one I used in this recipe (click here) but I wanted to try out nice crispy crust instead. My sister had told me about an awesome recipe she made up, so based on that I made up this one.



   
      The salmon is brushed with a lemon juice and dijon mustard mixture and topped with bread crumbs and chopped nuts. Its crispy and crunchy on the top and the salmon is tender and flaky in the middle. It's an awesome summer meal served with a fresh salad, and it tastes great leftover - in fact I just had some :)
     
      You could use different kinds of nuts for the topping - pecans, walnuts, pistachios (I recommend pistachios!) and it's all good. They just add a different flavor and texture element than just bread crumbs and it makes the salmon that much better.




         Salmon is a light, delicious and healthy protein choice, and it cooks for under 20 minutes so no need to keep a hot oven on during 90 degree weather! Sounds like the perfect meal to me!



       


Lemon-Dijon Encrusted Salmon
Ingredients:
1-1 1/2 lbs salmon
salt, pepper and garlic powder
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup panko style bread crumbs
1/3 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, pistachios)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Pat salmon dry and season lightly with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
In small bowl mix together lemon juice, dijon mustard, soy sauce and olive oil (it will thicken a little bit). Brush over salmon
Mix together bread crumbs and chopped nuts and top salmon. 
Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until salmon is flaked easily with fork. 
Don't over cook!













No comments:

Post a Comment