Thursday, June 13, 2013

Boston Creme Pie Cake and a 21st Birthday!

 
      It's my roommate's 21st birthday, and a this day is a big deal to college kids....the magnitude of importance lying somewhere between graduation and the birth of a first born child. Believe me, we don't take this lightly. If you're over 21 I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, and you remember your birthday fondly...(Or you don't remember much at all, but hey it happens to the best of us)

      Obviously something sweet and decadent was in order to celebrate such a day, and what better than a creamy, rich and sweet boston creme pie cake. Need I say more?




       I pinterest-ed away, looking for the perfect princess cake to try, but I ended up settling for something classic and delicious and not messing around with any fondant and food coloring. Instead I just dressed it up simply with some pretty rainbow sprinkles and a crown (If you knew Sam, you'd know this is perfect)




       And me being me, I couldn't let a good friend's birthday go by without making a card. I've probably spent 100 hours (potential exaggeration, but honestly pretty close) making birthday cards and I really like getting creative with it.


Maybe I should have worked for Hallmark instead of studying finance.......

but anyways back to the food.


        The recipe is simple and comes together much quicker than I thought. I'm sure you could toy with the types of pudding used - butterscotch, chocolate, cheesecake, white chocolate etc! - and the type of cake used, (endless options) and turn it into something much different than boston creme. As always, get creative and play around with it! That's how good recipes are made :)



Boston Creme Pie Cake
Ingredients:
1 yellow box cake mix (and ingredients listed on box)
1 cup cold milk
1 package vanilla instant pudding mix
1 1/2 cups cool whip or homemade whipped cream
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp milk
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Bake cake according to package directions in two 9 inch round pans.
While cakes are baking, make creme filling by beating 1 cup milk with instant pudding mix for 2 minutes. Fold in cool whip, cover and refrigerate.
After cakes are cooked (probably around 24 minutes) remove from pan and cool on wire rack. Optional to cut the rounded top off of one cake (to be the bottom layer) to allow for more even stacking. 
Once cakes are cooled, layer all of the creme filling on top of one cake then top with the rounded top cake. Let cool before glazing
To make chocolate glaze, melt butter and milk in small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Immediately wisk in cocoa powder, then mix in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Let cool slightly then pour over cooled cake. 
Store in refrigerator


Happy Birthday Sam!! <3










No comments:

Post a Comment