Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Summer Squash Pizza

     

        Here it is, yet another pizza post. You might think (like my mom and brother did), how good can a pizza with squash on it really be? It sounds kind of odd, and most of you would probably prefer your pizza loaded with bacon and sausage instead, but I promise this is a seriously good recipe. It tastes fresh and summery and the flavors are sooo delicious. Without a doubt I'll be making this again soon, and with fresh tomatoes and squash from the garden, it'll be even 10 times better.

       Maybe I'd be especially convincing if I posted a little more like ThugKitchen(click here). That's much more similar to how I actually feel about the food I post, but I try and filter my words because I know although this blog is meant for college students, the majority reading this are probably middle aged women, and are probably recruited by my mother.....*Darn*




         Would people really be offended if I said this is a f*cking good pizza? Because it really really is. At least I'm not lying about it (my dad says there is nothing worse than lying) and at least I'm putting a * in there to be safe. Damn this just really is a f*cking good pizza......But I'll stop swearing now, only as long as you promise to try the recipe :)





Summer Squash Pizza
Ingredients:
1 premade pizza dough
3-4 tbsp italian salad dressing
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
1 summer squash, thinly sliced
1 large or 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 (or more) cup mozzarella cheese
parmesan cheese
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
salt, pepper, garlic powder
1 tbsp cornmeal

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees (if using pizza stone, place in oven before its preheated so it heats with oven and doesn't crack. this allows for crispier crust)
Heat 1 tbsp of the italian dressing in pan over medium heat on stove. Once heated, add squash and zucchini and sautee until crisp tender, about 4-5 minutes.
While squash is cooking, lightly spray cookie sheet or stone (once stone is heated in preheated oven) and sprinkle with cornmeal. Stretch dough and place on top. 
Top dough with remaining tablespoons of italian dressing, and top with sliced tomatoes. 
Top tomatoes with half of the mozzarella cheese, then zucchini and squash.
Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese and parmesan over the squash, and top with basil, oregano and a light sprinkle of garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Bake in preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is bubbling.















4 comments:

  1. U r right. Your mom got me to try your blog, but your recipes and stories got me hooks. I have shares it with many of my fellow teacher young and old. As well as both my college sons who love to cook too, but not to clean up after. Nancy J
    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I appreciate it! I'm glad you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog Erica, loved the chicken burritos, going to try this pizza even though I hate summer squash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! It was so good! And you can hardly taste the squash, the seasonings of the italian dressing are much more prominent. I'm sure you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete