Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Loaded Pork Fried Rice



      What the heck do you do when you have two pork chops in your freezer?! That's a pretty skimpy dinner for two and I'd hate to try out some new delicious recipe on just two chops and be begging for more at the end. Well, with my recent mood for takeout food and the coincidental leftover 4 -ish cups of rice, I had found a solution to my dilemma, and a hell of a good solution it was. If only it came with a fortune cookie....




     In all honesty this was way better than any fried rice I've ever gotten from a restaurant. I really love Chinese take-out style meals because they come together so quickly and it's all in one pan (perfect for the messy cook that I am!). I loaded it with veggies and used brown rice, making it healthier than your average Happy China Buffet down the street. What's really great about it is the big chunks of pork. (Not those little red pieces that usually come in it. Who knows what part of the pig that even comes from....)

       I marinated the pork just a few hours before in a little bit of soy sauce, olive oil, teriyaki sauce and some spices. It was extremely flavorful and really made the rice dish that much more delicious. As usual, I just used what I had on hand, but you could add any kind of vegetables to the mix and it would work fine, too!




        This was a great quick meal for the busy week I've been having with tests coming up and spending the majority of my precious time in the library, contemplating dropping out of school and moving to some rural area and living off the land and never opening a text book or looking at stupid database systems again in my life....I'd take my dog with me too, if my mom would ever let me...


    She'd be real fat if she lived with me because I'd have no willpower to say no to that face. I bet she'd enjoy some pork fried rice.....God, I miss her!



Loaded Pork Fried Rice
Ingredients:
About 4 cups cooked brown rice (leftover works great)
2 pork chops 
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp reduce sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp teriyaki sauce
few shakes garlic powder and pepper
2 eggs, scrambled
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped carrots
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
Garlic powder, onion powder and pepper to taste

Directions:
Season pork chops with few shakes garlic powder and pepper on each side. Place in ziplock bag, add olive oil, soy sauce and teriyaki sauce and marinate in fridge for a 1+ hours. Heat pan over medium heat, cook scrambled eggs separating into small pieces and set aside. Cook pork chops in pan with all the marinade, about 4-5 minutes on each side or until just cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside but leave drippings in the pan. Add tbsp of sesame oil to pan give it a few seconds to heat up, add minced garlic and the chopped vegetables. Stir to coat in drippings and oil and let cook for about 4 minutes. While cooking, chop the pork into bite sized pieces. Add rice to pan with vegetables and stir in pork and egg as well. Mix in soy sauce and season with garlic powder, onion powder and pepper.










No comments:

Post a Comment