Friday, January 2, 2015

Sweet and Sour Meatballs


   THESE ARE SO GOOD. That is basically all you need to know. But, me being a food blogger and all I will continue to go on and describe just how great they are and attempt to convince you to try them. I promise you won't regret it.

     They're sweet, sour (ok- obviously), tangy, tender, sticky and saucy and bursting with flavor. Lord give me willpower to not eat the entire pot.....

and to not look like a complete sloppy idiot sticking my head into the bowl to lick it clean....


    You could eat a heaping scoop over a bed of rice, load up a sub roll, or go at them with a toothpick - I don't care. No matter how you do it, it's going to be good!

    I love the pineapple and red peppers with it because it gives it more potential for a meal and adds a bit of nutritional value. This would be a crowd pleasing potluck dish, or in my case a New Years Eve pregame snack.





     I used gluten free breadcrumbs and tamari to make this a gluten free dish. I can promise you that you definitely can't tell at all. You'll just be focused on licking the sauce off your fingers and getting a second helping :)


     My boyfriend says his mom uses his grandmothers recipe for sweet and sour meatballs made with grape jelly and sweet chili sauce and they are delicious... I think I'll have to try that next time!!




Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef
2 tsp A1 steak sauce - or worcestershire sauce to taste
3 tbsp breadcrumbs - gluten free if necessary
1 tsp oregano
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

1 tbsp oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup ketchup, plus 1 tbsp
2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
1 cup pineapple chunks
1 tbsp pineapple juice (reserved from can of pineapple chunks)
1 large red bell pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
For the meatballs, mix all ingredients from ground beef to salt and pepper. Don't go too crazy with it, just mix ingredients to combine.
Form into balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 12-13 minutes. (They will simmer in the sauce so don't worry too much about being totally cooked through)
While meatballs are cooking, sautee onion in oil over medium heat in saucepan.
Once tender, add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Bring sauce to a simmer for about 5 minutes then add in meatballs.
Let meatballs lightly simmer in sauce for 20 minutes longer.










No comments:

Post a Comment