Friday, January 16, 2015

Cheddar Corn Chowder



      This past Saturday was quite possibly one of the best days of my life. It was filled with great company, tailgating with delicious food and drinks (pat myself on the back for that) and of course a WINNING PLAYOFF GAME sending the Patriots to the AFC Championship. We're one step closer to the Superbowl, Edelman threw a touchdown pass that I'll never forget, and I got to see it all live at Gilette with my three favorite guys.

    Did I mention that life is good?


     I can't think of a much more beautiful sight than that!

     So my dad was generous enough (extremely) to buy tickets for all of us. All he asked for in return was for us (me) to handle the food, and I'd say I did an adequate job. We had corn chowder, shrimp kebabs, burgers with plenty of bacon, cole slaw, chips, peanut butter cookies, rolo pretzel bites, flourless chocolate cupcakes, etc etc etc... And I can't forget to mention my uncle's famous breakfast burritos that have approximately 3,000 grams of protein. Oh, and also plenty of booze filled beverages ;)

For this post we will focus on the chowder though!



     This soup has great flavor, thanks to the addition of cheddar cheese and a little bit of curry powder (and we must give credit to the butter and cream, of course). And trust me, the curry powder is necessary. It doesn't overwhelm the flavor of the chowder, but it adds a little depth and warmth that otherwise wouldn't be there. I'd also say that the sharp cheddar definitely elevates the flavor as well. This isn't your average chowder!

       Another thing I love about it is that it is super cheap and easy! It would be perfect for a college meal to warm you up after a day of skiing....or just walking through the frozen tundra that is UMaine's campus.


   I will be making this again soon, that is for sure!!





Cheddar Corn Chowder
Ingredients:
4 pieces of bacon
2 large onions, chopped
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp + 1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp curry powder
3 cups yellow potatoes, chopped (don't have to peel)
6 cups chicken stock (check the ingredients to make sure its gluten free if necessary!)
5 cups frozen corn
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
In large pot, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and leave fat in pot.
Crumble bacon once it is cool.
Add onions and butter to pan, and sautee until translucent, about 5-10 minutes.
Stir in the cornstarch, salt, pepper and curry powder and cook for about a minute, then add the potatoes and stir.
Pour the chicken stock on top, bring to a boil then cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Stir in the corn, half and half, cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon. Cook on medium-low for a few more minutes until cheese has melted.











No comments:

Post a Comment