Sunday, April 27, 2014

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes



    I had never made homemade scalloped potatoes, and I figured that if I loved the boxed kind, then I'd be a huge fan of them made from scratch.

Turns out my theory was right...

It's just a great, classic comfort food, with a simple but delicious cheesy flavor and tender potatoes. It went really well with our Easter ham, too :)


        The most time consuming part of this was cutting the potatoes thin, but if you have a mandolin to cut them it will save you a lot of time. Either way, I promise you it's still worth it! 

      After that it's just making a cheese sauce, layering the potatoes with the cheese and baking. 






     I looked through a lot of recipes and used my judgement to combine all of them to make what I thought would be the best recipe. I'm not sure how it could get better than this.... Maybe if I used more expensive, fancy cheese but no college kid's got time or money for that! It's comfort food, it's not meant to break your bank :) 





Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

Ingredients:
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8" thin
3 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp cornstarch + 1tsp
2 cups milk (whole milk for creamier texture)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
dash cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese + more to top

Directions: 
- In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk cornstarch with a tbsp of the milk and whisk into butter
- Add the rest of the milk and stir
- Add in seasonings and stir, cooking on low until smooth and boiling slightly
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in cheese until just melted
- Place a layer of potatoes in casserole dish and top with cheese mixture, and repeat this until its all gone then top with extra cheddar
- Wrap in foil and bake at 400 degrees for 55-60 minutes










No comments:

Post a Comment