Monday, February 10, 2014

Chicken Sausage and Broccoli "Alfredo"



      It's been well over a month since I've eaten any form of pasta. Either I had forgotten completely what it tastes like, or the brown rice pasta I cooked in this recipe tasted pretty much identical. Either way, it works for me! I got my pasta fix, smothered in a yummy, easy to make cheese sauce, and found something to do with the chicken sausages I had in the fridge. It was a success!




       It's a really simple recipe, and you could substitute chicken or a different meat for the sausage. Johnsonville Apple chicken sausages just happened to be what I had on hand and the sweetness of them balanced out the spice of the cayenne pepper really nicely.

(The cayenne pepper is optional, but I've been wanting everything with a kick recently so I definitely had to put it in there.)

        Also, in my opinion, the more broccoli the better. There isn't too much that's better than cheesy broccoli. I think it could be a satisfying meal in itself!




         This is a great dish if you're looking for a really simple cheese sauce, similar to alfredo but not 100% the same. It uses waaaay less butter than traditional alfredo does, and the cream cheese does give it a different flavor, but it is very delicious. You could easily mix in cheddar or another cheese to the sauce when it's on the stove if you want to make it more mac-n-cheesy-extra-cheesy, but that's all up to you! Recipes are meant to be altered to your preference :)




































No comments:

Post a Comment