Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Cauliflower Pizza and A Potential Change of Focus


     So the purpose of my blog in the first place was to post college friendly recipes - meaning cheap, healthy, and fairly easy/quick, but I think I might have to throw in another spin on that. I've had quite a bit of health and digestive problems my whole life, and medication and eating pretty healthy doesn't seem to change that, so my mom and I have both decided to try out of gluten free diet, thanks to some research, some public television presentations, advice from doctors and a book called Wheat Belly.

(Shown below is the Wheat Belly Cookbook, not the actual Wheat Belly book that goes more in depth about the side affects and health problems associated with consuming wheat. The book talks about just omitting wheat, but we've decided to just go all out gluten free, which includes wheat, rye and barley )
       
        This book goes through all the symptoms of someone who is really affected by ingesting wheat, and how excluding it from your diet can make some remarkable changes. So with fingers crossed my mom and I are going to embark on this gluten free (and potentially frustrating and annoying - but we'll deal with it) journey, and I'll see what recipes I can come up with and post on here. If all goes as planned and I notice a big difference in how I feel from avoiding all that is wheat/gluten, then I will change the focus of my blog to college cooking for the "glutards", as it's called.
       I had seen many recipes for a cauliflower crust pizza during my food-gawking-blog-searching internet escapades, and I figured that would be a good start. I mean it's pizza! So maybe I wouldn't feel so upset leaving behind my yummy whole wheat bread and easy frozen pizzas and pasta and all that is breaded and fried....if my first gluten free meal was a delicious pizza that didn't taste all so gluten free. And it didn't!
      Now it doesn't have the same doughy consistency of a normal pizza so if you just get that thought in your head it'll be an easier transition (not that its a bad consistency at all, I really liked it). It does have very similar flavor, if not better because the cauliflower is seasoned with dried herbs and garlic powder, so it tastes delicious.




       Even if you aren't gluten free/wheat free, this is a good option for a low carb, low calorie pizza substitute that is still just as delicious. It does take some more work than just throwing some sauce on a precooked dough, but to make it easier you can make them and bake them ahead of time and store them in the freezer for easier use on a busier night. So no excuses! (Though I'm sure I'll try to find some for myself during the next few beginning weeks of getting used to this way of eating....)

      After microwaving the cauliflower as it says in the directions, really make sure to ring out all of the moisture that you possibly can, so it doesn't end up steaming in there and it crisps up nicely!


Cauliflower Crust Pizza- GF








No comments:

Post a Comment