Monday, December 30, 2013

Leftover Turkey Chili for Tailgating



         My Dad brought my boyfriend, my brother and I to the last Patriots game of the regular season vs. Buffalo. It was like 38 degrees and raining pretty hard, so not the best of weather conditions, but it sure did make for an exciting game! We were very lucky that our seats were covered from the rain and the wind was blowing in our favor so we managed to stay dry for the majority of the game, which I was extremely thankful for because the people just two rows ahead of us were getting drenched!
       

          There's no way my Dad would be going to a Pats game without a solid tailgating session, so of course we hung out under a tent, grilled some burgers (Omaha steak burgers to be exact) and drank a couple beers, surrounded by thousands of other fans. I don't know of a better way to spend a Sunday.....even if it was raining!

        If you are going to be outside tailgating in some cold weather, it only makes sense to come prepared with a yummy pot of chili, and it heats up quite well on the grill. The warmth and spice of a nice big bowl will keep you not only warm, but very satisfied!
        A day or two before the game my mom had cooked up a turkey, so I decided that would be the meat component of the chili, which ended up being a great choice and it was extremely simple. I added a mix of dark and white meat, beans, and loaded it with veggies, just as my mom would. 



          When I make chili I usually just add spices as I go and season it to taste. Sometimes I use a chili seasoning packet, then add in some extra cumin because I love that smokey flavor, and some cayenne pepper if I'm in the mood for some heat. This recipe is very general, and you can add other spices or try a seasoning packet if you prefer!



Leftover Turkey Chili
Ingredients:
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small/1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
Approximately 5 cups leftover turkey, chopped
1 1/2-2 tbsp cumin
1 1/2-2 tbsp chili powder
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
Salt to taste
1 can corn, drained
28 oz can petite diced tomatoes
16 oz jar of salsa
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups chicken broth

Directions:
Add about a tablespoon of olive oil to a large pot over medium heat, and add in garlic, onion and bell pepper. Stir constantly, and after a few minutes add in turkey meat and the spices and stir. 
Add in remaining ingredients and mix it up well. 
(Taste test in case you need to altar spices to your preference! But be aware it will get spicier as it sits and you reheat it later)
Reduce heat and let simmer for about ten minutes.


Enjoy tailgating, Go Patriots!
(And also ignore my brother's face below he is weird.....)








No comments:

Post a Comment