Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sweet Potato Casserole


        Some sweet potato casseroles, topped with marshmallows and loaded with butter and sugar, could easily be substituted for a dessert. Although they're good, they're far too sweet for me, which is why I am very happy with this recipe. It's sweet enough to make it a special seasonal treat, but not so sweet that you feel like it's candy. It brings out the delicious flavor of the potatoes without overpowering them with sugar.
        It was one of soooo many side dishes at our Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt's house. We had all our family's staple sides, a cheesy potato dish topped with cornflakes my cousin makes, my aunt's clam chowder, some creamed pearl onions that were new to the table that were outstanding, green bean casserole, squash, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, two kinds of stuffing, etc, etc. We cooked two 18+ pound turkeys to feed us all!

Here's a picture of my cousins on my mom's side of the family (not included the ones married in) and my Grammy. For the first time in a while, all of the cousins were able to make it and be together!


     This casserole would of course work very well with your Christmas dinner too, whether it be a ham or a roast. My family is a little less traditional and we order in an absurd amount of Chinese food, so I doubt I'll be making the sweet potato casserole to go alongside pork fried rice....




       I realized halfway through dinner that I hadn't taken a good blog photo of the baked product, so being the nerd I am I had to get up and take one. It was over half gone and not looking as crisp as it does straight out of the oven, but I don't think there is a really good way of making a casserole look so pretty in a photo anyways :P
       It tasted absolutely delicious and that's what it really comes down to!




Sweet Potato Casserole
Ingredients:
About 5-6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup honey
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
3 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mash sweet potatoes, and combine with honey, 1 tbsp brown sugar, egg and spices. Spread into 1.5-2 quart casserole dish.
To make topping, mix sugar and flour together. Cut in butter until its evenly distributed and mix in pecans.
Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 degrees.









No comments:

Post a Comment