Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Fall Treat: Apple Pie



     So along with my seasonal obsession with pumpkin, I also have been craving apples this fall, which is odd because I don't even really like apples....

But with that said, it's nearly impossible to 'not like' a cinnamon-sugary-gooey-crispy-tender pie, hot out of the oven (with ice cream of course)


Like really, how could you say no to this?


 
    It seemed appropriate to make it on the first of October, and to enjoy it with friends and of course a few drinks to celebrate the completion of some exams earlier in the day.

We're college kids.....indulging is one of our finest skills!




        Later on (most likely today) I plan on mixing the last little piece of the pie with some ice cream for one tasty milkshake.....I don't know what's much better than that!


       P.S. - Don't blame me for not posting too much recently! I'm a busy girl back to school, I recently got a new job, and I feel like my time is super limited with everything I'm trying to balance! But, I promise to try my best to upload more yummy recipes for you all to try (meaning my mother)....



Apple Pie
Ingredients:
Two 9 inch pie crust doughs (homemade or storebought)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 - 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
8 Granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Wisk in flour and then stir in the water, vanilla, sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for a few minutes. 
Meanwhile, line a 9" pie pan with one pastry dough.
In a large bowl, mix together apples and sugar mixture to coat, then immediately place inside the pie dish. Cover w/ remaining crust dough in lattice fashion or regular with slits in the top. 
Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until apples are soft 
(brush the top with a little milk and some cinnamon sugar ten minutes before done - optional) 




Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com










No comments:

Post a Comment