Saturday, April 13, 2013

Spinach Breakfast Pizza


       It's safe to say that I will never get sick of breakfast pizza. When I make it I find myself more than willing to eat it leftover.......for all meals of the day. It's just so good. I made one recently that is pretty similar to the original breakfast pizza recipe I posted, but this time I included spinach wilted with garlic and it made a world of difference.



        Seriously, it doesn't get much better than this. Most breakfast pizza recipes I've come across use unrolled crescent dough as the crust, and I have tried that way as well, and it's good, but it just isn't the same. When I make a breakfast pizza, I want a pizzzza....and this is perfect. The crust is crunchy on the outside but soft in the center, the eggs are fluffy and marbled with cheese with the sweet maple flavor of the sausage and bacon.....Mmmmmm not to mention the crunch of onion and peppers. 

         What makes it 10x better is the fact that it's so cheap. Eggs are the world's gift to college kids, I swear. Actually, eggs and spinach are the world's gift to college kids - such a great combination. I often scramble an egg and garlic with a big handful of spinach and pile it between two pieces of whole wheat toast with hot sauce for breakfast, but I'll blog more about that another time :)

        Not gonna lie, as I write this in the library (homework, shmomework) my mouth is watering in memory of eating this. I wish I made it today and not last week so it would be waiting for me in the fridge....WHYYYYY



        I'm seriously having withdrawals.....but now I know, from now on I should blog about delicious foods while I still have them leftover so I don't have to suffer their absence. Especially in the library....



Spinach Breakfast Pizza
Ingredients:
1 premade pizza dough (portland pie co!)
1-2 tbsp cornmeal
2 tsp garlic powder - optional for crust
1 tbsp olive oil - optional for crust
6 oz bag fresh spinach
2 tsp minced garlic
1 cup cheddar cheese
6-7 eggs
4 pieces maple bacon
1/2 lb maple sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green/red bell pepper, chopped
 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
Hot sauce/Ketchup to serve for dip

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Cook bacon and sausage over medium-high heat in pan over stove. Remove and drain, cut into small pieces. Remove some of the fat from the pan, leaving about a tbsp and cook the bell pepper and onion with minced garlic over medium heat. 
After about two minutes, add spinach and stir to wilt. Once wilted (after 2-3 minutes) remove pan from heat and set aside. 
Scramble eggs in a medium bowl and season with garlic powder and onion powder. 
Lightly spray a pizza stone or baking sheet (baking sheet with raised sides recommended so egg mixture doesn't run off pan) and sprinkle with cornmeal. Stretch dough and fit onto pan, pressing fingertips around outside to make crust. 
Brush crust with tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with 2 tsp garlic powder.
 Layer on the sausage, bacon and vegetables, then top with cheese. Carefully pour egg mixture over top (it wont look like much but they fluff up when it cooks) and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until eggs are set and crust is browned.








No comments:

Post a Comment