Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Perfect Blueberry Muffin


    I love baked goods, especially muffins, so after reading rave reviews on the To Die For Blueberry Muffin Recipe found on allrecipes.com, I had to try it. I sorted through the written reviews and recommendations and followed the ones I thought were best and made some changes of my own. It is, in all honesty, the BEST homemade blueberry muffin I've ever had. The crumb topping was crunchy and sugary and sweet and the consistency was perfectly moist. After my first bite I literally said out loud "oh my god...." We ate three right when they came out of the oven.

I'm in blueberry heaven.....


       I'll continue to be in blueberry heaven when I eat another one of these later tonight, and probably again when I make another batch next week....I'm in love. It's the crumb topping that really sets it apart from all the others, so sweet and sugary crispy crunchy; the ideal muffin top. 


(As you see some were snatched before I could even take a picture! We were too anxious because they smell absolutely fantastic while baking)

        I altered the recipe a bit, using 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (my mom has rubbed off on me more than I thought) because I'm determined to add it to every baked good recipe that I try, and you really can't tell the difference. I also used frozen blueberries instead of fresh (saving some money here!), and it still came out great, soooooo great - like I seriously plan on using this recipe for the rest of my life....that great. As I'm trying to write this my eyes keep getting glued onto the picture of it, all warm and fresh from the pan, a little piece of baked perfection and my mouth is watering and ugh I'm getting so distracted by the memory of it's deliciousness!
        I bet it would be delicious using chocolate chips as well, though I do already have my recipe for Chocolate Chip Muffins w/ Whole Wheat Flour and Wheat Germ. We'll see, maybe I'll switch it up sometime, but for now I'll just continue to drool over these ones. 


       Trust me, and go preheat your oven, get some ingredients out, get baking and I swear you'll thank me later....



Perfected Blueberry Muffins
Makes 8/9 large bakery style muffins or 12 regular
Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup blueberries - or more
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed small
2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in medium bowl. In separate bowl combine vegetable oil, egg, milk and vanilla. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in egg mixture. Mix until just combined, DO NOT OVER MIX! Fold in blueberries. Grease muffin tins and scoop in batter all the way to the top of the cup for large muffins, or 2/3 for regular sized. Mix together brown sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon with fork and sprinkle on muffins, making sure to get some butter on each (you don't have to use all of the mixture, I had some leftover). Bake in preheated oven, large muffins 20-25 minutes and smaller ones about 18 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.








No comments:

Post a Comment