Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Portland Pie Never Fails


    Breakfast pizza...It is honestly one of the most perfect foods I can think of, being a college kid. It is simple, cheap and can be eaten leftover for a quick grab-and-go breakfast, or basically for any meal of the day. Load it with veggies and layers of cheese, top with some greasy bacon and maple sausages and dinner is served. (I can hardly wake up for my classes as it is, so I make it for dinner and have leftovers for breakfast) It is filling, satisfying and takes only a short time to make...all fairly essential qualities for college cooking. I will continue to make this pizza and add/change different ingredients until it is absolutely perfect. This recipe is so delicious though, don't get me wrong! But with pizzas, there is always room for improvement and change of ingredients depending on what is available in the fridge (which is not often much!)
       Just writing about it now is generating all sorts of ideas of variations...spinach and mushroom, tomatoes, canadian bacon! Ahhh how I LOVE cooking, the possibilities are endless!




As usual, I used Portland Pie Co. dough for the pizza. The beer dough and the garlic dough were both frozen solid in the grocery store, and we were making the pizza later that day so we used their white dough. Once again, it was a great crust. I swear I will never buy a different pre-made dough again....maybe they should pay me to blog about their products ;) I'd try making a new pizza every week!

(Ignore the dirty old cookie sheet - I'm thinking I really need a pizza stone!)

Breakfast Pizza:
1 pre-made pizza dough
2 Tbsp cornmeal
1 Tbsp olive oil, garlic powder
6 eggs
1/4 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 large green bell pepper
1 medium onion
6 slices bacon (preferably maple)
1/2 lb maple breakfast sausage
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Optional hot sauce/ketchup for dipping 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Fry bacon and sausage (with casings removed) on stove until bacon is crisp and sausage is cooked through. Remove from heat, drain and crumble/cut into small pieces. Leave grease in pan and cook onions and bell pepper until soft. Grease pizza stone/baking sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. Stretch and toss pizza dough and spread onto pan, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder. Layer with bacon, sausage, onions and peppers and top with cheese. Scramble the eggs with milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper and pour over mixture. (For neatness, avoid eggs pouring over side of crust, but if it does don't worry. This has happened to me and the pizza still comes out fine!)
Bake 15 minutes or until eggs are set and the crust is golden.
It is more like a pie than a pizza, but I personally like the thickness of it. So yummy!!!













         

No comments:

Post a Comment