Sunday, February 8, 2015

Turkey Sweet Potato Curry



       Surprisingly after the Superbowl, we had actually had some turkey leftovers. The first thought I had was your obvious - "I'll make turkey soup!" and then I thought - "no, that's way too boring". So I decided to take the sacred Superbowl turkey and convert it into something more creative, something I've never tried before, and arguably something more delicious.

   Have you ever had turkey curry? I hadn't, and I humbly consider myself somewhat of a curry expert, so I doubt that you have either. Well, turns out it is amazingly delicious, and a GREAT, simple way to use up leftover turkey.

Here is a little bit of proof:

       Now don't shy away thinking that turkey doesn't pair well with curry spices. Trust me when I say that it does. And with some kale and sweet potatoes, it's a hearty dish that is perfect for warming up during these constant snow storms..... (that are seemingly never ever going to stop, ever)

     And remember to save the bones for homemade stock! That makes all the difference and it's super easy to freeze and save for future use.



        I'm obsessed with using coconut milk in my curry and I basically can't do it any other way. Though this time, I added fish sauce and brown sugar which is new. It added a little complexity in comparison to my usual curry, and I loved it, so I plan on continuing to do that.

        The recipe could work with chicken or shrimp, and regular potatoes/other vegetables you'd like to use up. Serve it over rice or rice noodles.







Turkey Sweet Potato Curry
Ingredients:
15 oz can coconut milk
2 heaping tbsp red curry paste
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 cups homemade turkey stock
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce
1-2 cups leftover roast turkey, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
Pinch cayenne pepper for spice - optional
2-3 big handfuls chopped kale, with large ribs removed

Directions:
Combine coconut milk and curry paste in large saucepan. Add sweet potatoes, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add turkey stock, brown sugar, fish sauce, turkey, cumin and cayenne and stir to combine. Cover and cook over medium-low for about another 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
Add in chopped kale, and cover and cook until greens are tender.
Serve over rice or noodles.







No comments:

Post a Comment