Friday, August 29, 2014

Special Occasion Mussels



    No one should be intimidated by the thought of steaming shellfish like mussels or clams. It is so easy to cook correctly and easy to flavor, yet the final product is a bit sophisticated and feels like such a treat. I promise you won't go wrong!
    Not to mention that a two pound bag cost about 6 dollars.... aaaaand cooking with wine is always nice because more ends up in your mouth than in the food, which is normal and acceptable.




     I based this recipe on the mussels we serve at The Oar House. Every time one of my tables orders them, I will literally hold the bowl up to my face and smell them.... Then I hide in the corner and eat a couple of them. No, I'm kidding.... but honestly I wish I could.

So anyways, that's why I needed to make them myself.

     It's simple and so delicious, most likely because it includes 3 of my favorite ingredients - butter, garlic and wine. (Julia Child, anyone?!) It's perfect for special occasion, or just because you're awesome and you deserve it. Either way.





Wine and Garlic Steamed Mussels
Ingredients:
2-3 lb mussels
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 shallots, chopped (can substitute 1/4 cup chopped onion if necessary)
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 large tomato, diced
Flat leaf parsley

Directions:
Rinse and clean mussels.
In large pot with lid, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots and stir til fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Add the mussels and wine. Increase heat to high and cover and simmer about 2 minutes.
Add in tomatoes and stir mussels to coat in sauce. Cover again and cook a couple minutes longer or until mussels have opened wide.
Add a small handful of parsley.
Serve in individual bowls or one big bowl to share with broth and crusty bread.











No comments:

Post a Comment