Friday, August 1, 2014

Asian Cabbage Salad




     Summer clearly isn't my peak blogging season. (I recall a post-less month or two last year this time, too), but although physical posts aren't there to prove it, I promise you I've been eating plenty of delicious foods and I have a handful of new favorites to add to my repertoire!

    Before I get into this cabbage salad (which by the way we've made it about 15 times this summer already), here's a little recap of what I've been up to/my excuses for not blogging....


Jazz Brunch on my second home, The Oar House restaurant in Portsmouth, NH

Stonewall Kitchen, my home 3 days of the week, where I am fortunate enough to take cooking classes, get a discount on amazing products....oh yeah and learn a lot about marketing! ;)
Much needed vacation at camp on Lake Winnipesaukee with the family!

Plenty of drinks and dinner dates with this guy 

And lots of fun with friends!


     So now you see why I didn't have much time to blog! But as I sit here on my couch watching Chopped (I got called out of work because of rain - perks of working on a deck), I found a perfect opportunity.

     I've been meaning to share this Asian Cabbage Salad recipe because it is just so delicious. When I say we've made it more than a dozen times this summer, it's no exaggeration. This seems to happen every summer with my mom and I, where we obsess over a recipe and make it literally once a week. One summer it was the Mexican Bean Salad, and another was the Spicy Peanut Noodles. We still make both of these monthly.

This cabbage dish is wicked simple and a perfect side dish for a summer BBQ. Plus it holds up great in the fridge for days, so it's very convenient for a busy schedule, as well!




It's the perfect substitute for a traditional cole slaw that is loaded with flavor. Plus, cabbage is totally healthy for you, and very low on the glycemic index - not to mention it's super crunchy and delicious!

The nuts and seeds add some goodness too, of course!



  You can substitute other nuts or seeds based on whatever you have on hand. I definitely recommend toasting the nuts though, so don't skip that part! It really enhances the flavor and you will notice a difference.

   There are variations of this recipe that include toasted ramen noodles that adds a great crunch element, but being gluten free, I decided to omit that! If you do decide to add ramen, keep in mind that they will get soggy if they sit in the salad in the fridge for long, so I would add them just as you eat it.




 
Asian Cabbage Salad
Ingredients:
1 head cabbage, shredded (We double the recipe and use one green and one red cabbage)
1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup slivered almonds
3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
     For dressing:
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup plus 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
1/4 cup plus 1/2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Directions:
Mix dressing ingredients and set aside.
Toast slivered almonds over medium heat on stovetop until golden.
Combine cabbage, green onions, nuts and seeds in large bowl and toss with dressing.
Let sit in the fridge for a couple hours before serving to let flavors blend.






No comments:

Post a Comment