Friday, March 22, 2013

White Chicken Chowder Style Chili


        I am a girl who loves her chili. Meat, beans, veggies, MmmMmm. But I always thought that chicken chilis were just O.K, they were never my favorite. I didn't like how it seemed to be more like a soup. The chicken also I feel like is often kind of dry - but follow the cooking directions and keep it to a simmer instead of a boil and you'll avoid all that! This recipe so turnt me on to chicken chili so I hope it does the same to whoever tries it!

         I decided to try and thicken it a little bit, so basically it is halfway between and chili and a chowder. It's loaded with the essentials- beans, corn, peppers and some heat - but I did so without adding any cream to the mix, just a can of condensed cream of chicken soup was perfect! I made a huge pot and my family was downing leftovers for days. We all loved it so much. I think my mom told me how much she loved it at least three times a day for like a week. My brother was even taking out just the chunks and making nachos with it.....


They were sooo delicious....too delicious....

        It is cheap, healthier than a beef chili and extremely simple. It's loaded with veggies and you can always add more than the recipe states! That's another great thing about chili, the recipes are so flexible. Feel free to change it up!


White Chicken Chowder Style Chili
Ingredients:
1 1/2-2 lbs chicken breast
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1-1 1/2 can corn
2 can cannellini beans or other white bean, drained and rinsed
1 14oz can chopped green chilis
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (onion or mushroom works too)
3 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper


Directions:
Put large pot of water over medium heat. Cut chicken breasts once lengthwise and add to water. Bring to a simmer (hardly boiling at all because you don't want the chicken to overcook and get dry and tough- it happens quickly) for about 15 minutes. Remove from water and shred chicken with two forks. In a large pot over medium heat add olive oil, garlic and onion. Stir just about a minute then add peppers for two minutes more. Add in chicken, all seasonings, cream of chicken soup and broth. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add in the rest of the ingredients, stir and cover until heated through.




No comments:

Post a Comment