Sunday, March 10, 2013

Crispy, Crunchy Crab Rangoons


        Extending on my love for Chinese food as stated in the previous post, I found it necessary to blog about some delicious crab rangoons. They are better than take-out because you can use actual crab meat (no imitation stuff that comes in the airtight package that is basically all fish-generally what Chinese take-out places use) and it is still fairly cheap and easy by using canned crab. I'll even admit, I have made these using the cheapest canned crab available in the store (guilty...) and they were still so yummy! I never even use the deep fryer for these, just stovetop frying!

       I have made these up at school for friends and we will eat an ungodly amount of them. It's a no fail appetizer or side dish for parties or game days. While being home for spring break, I also made them for my younger brother and his friends, and by the looks of it they seemed to really enjoy them! I'm not sure if the number one is referring to the food or not, but we can pretend it is ;P

Also, due to the fact these deep fried snacks are not real healthy by any means, I recommend not drinking an entire gallon of store brand "Fruit Rush"with less than 1% real juice.......Oh teenage boys..


        I tried baking them as well, and they were just ok. They really only crisped up on the edges and some of the cream cheese mixture oozed out the sides. I heard about a recipe using a mini muffin tin that seemed like it worked well, so I will try that in the future and get back to you! For now I will say screw it and take the extra calories....it is soooo worth it. 



Crab Rangoons
Ingredients:
3 cups vegetable oil
1 6 oz can crabmeat, drained and flaked
1 8oz package cream cheese (try cream cheese with chives!)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
24 (more or less) wonton wrappers



Directions:
Heat vegetable oil in large pan, just a little over medium heat on stove. (5-6 ish, you don't want it too hot because it's easy to cook too quick, but make sure the oil is hot enough so the oil bubbles immediately when the rangoons are put in, about 360 degrees)
Mix crab, cream cheese and spices in medium bowl. Scoop about 2 tsp in each wonton wrapper.** Wet the edges of the wrapper and fold in half diagonally to form a triangle. Pinch edges together and try to squeeze out any air. Place gently in oil and fry just until golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel.

**Add more or less filling depending on your preference. A tablespoon is probably the maximum and you have to be careful to really pinch the sides tightly together so the insides don't ooze out.









No comments:

Post a Comment