Sunday, February 24, 2013

Lazy BBQ Ribs

     I don't have a grill at school so when I'm craving some BBQ ribs, my go-to plan is to throw them straight in the crock pot for some sloooooow cookin'. They're falling off the bone tender, require hardly any preparation and have a smoky flavor without the grill! I don't know what could be better. I have used this recipe for baby back ribs and even the larger southern style pork ribs and it has come out delicious every time.
     It is great for a Sunday because I can put them in the crock pot around the time I wake up (around noontime...don't judge me, it's the weekend!) and they are ready at dinner. We decided to splurge a little for these ones and got some baby backs from the farmers market on saturday morning - expensive, but it's nice to support the locals! I served them with some roasted butternut squash and cream cheese mashed potatoes. (I am blogging this at 10 pm, and I am still full from this dinner!)

     Looks worth it to me.....



        The recipe was taken (only slightly changed) from a cookbook I got for Christmas, The Taste of Home Cookbook, and I have gotten so much use out of already. It has so many tips, tricks and useful things to know! I highly recommend it!



Lazy BBQ Ribs
2-1/2 lbs pork baby back ribs
2 teaspoons cajun seasoning*
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup bbq sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp water


Directions:
Rub ribs with cajun seasoning. Slice onion and layer with ribs in crock pot. 
Combine all of the next ingredients except the flour and water (from ketchup to liquid smoke) and pour over the ribs. Cook on low for about 5 - 5 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove the ribs and keep warm. Skim fat out of cooking juices and transfer the juices to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Mix flour and water together and stir into sauce until thickened. Serve with ribs.

*Don't have cajun seasoning? 2 tsp cajun seasoning =  approx. 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp dried basil, 1 tsp dried thyme and 2 minced garlic cloves (Thanks to the great substitution key in the back of my cookbook! Very handy!)


Clearly the meat was falling right off the bone :)






No comments:

Post a Comment